Sunday, February 15, 2009

Long driving days

The day before yesterday I drove my full 11 hours. Yesterday, I drove my full 11 hours. Today, I drove my full 11 hours. Each day started before dawn and ended up after sunset (additional time being spent doing things like eating, fueling and such during the course of the day).

Before I dropped my load in Rochelle, Illinois yesterday I was given a pre-plan then it was changed to a different one, then that one was modified to a t-call in Omaha. The story is long and I'm tired, but suffice it to say I ignored what my company told me about the hours that a particular shipper were open and this morning grabbed my load a couple hours early, which will give me just enough time to rush it from Minooka, Illinois to Loveland, Colorado tomorrow morning if all goes well.

Today's drive was from Minooka to Lexington, Nebraska, stopping once in Walcott, Iowa for some food and to scale the load and again in Omaha to refuel. Other than that, hour after hour of trodding down the road watching my fuel gauge slowly head towards empty.


View Larger Map