Thursday, February 5, 2009

Ghetto Fixes

I was planned on a PetSmart load of fish last night, from the Ottawa, Illinois distribution center down to Memphis, then Little Rock. They wanted the pickup by 0500 which was no problem, and I checked in my empty then hooked up to the new trailer with the fish.

The previous driver was probably an owner-op, and was most certainly inconsiderate. The reason I believe he (or she) was an O-O is that the landing gear was cranked so high I had to lower it about 3 inches before I could get under the trailer, which is normally how people using 24" tires leave them. Since our regular fleet uses 22.5" tires like mine, I suspect this was someone with their own truck.

The inconsiderate part has to do with the trailer lights. When I hooked up my electrical pigtail and pulled the trailer out of its spot all was fine. Then I made a right turn towards the gate and the trailer lights went out. Straightened out, the lights flickered on and off a bit, then went back off. The electrical junction box felt a bit loose when I plugged in, and the previous driver had to have recognized this problem if he was using his mirrors.

So now I get to wait for repairs at the T/A in Bloomington, Illinois.



I tried a ghetto fix with some zip ties, but the connections are poor enough that it doesn't keep contact well.