Saturday, June 6, 2009

New! First year spreadsheet

Interested in seeing the "numbers behind the numbers"?

I have published a spreadsheet using Google Docs with three pages. The first is an overview, by quarter and year-end, of most of the data points that matter to me. At the top you can see how many miles my truck had when I got it (1,337) and how much it had at the end of each quarter. Below are a dozen or so data points expressed in quarterly and year-end numbers for things like Fuel Expense, Total Revenue, Net Pay and the like.

By clicking the Weekly tab in the upper left corner it will bring you to a page with data gleaned directly from the settlement information emailed to me each week. They are organized into quarters for easier reference.

Clicking the Loads tab will give you the straight dope about each of the 201 loads I handled in the past year. The top has some summary data (average deadhead miles being 93, average loaded miles 570, et cetera) followed by groups of loads, one each per line. The loads are separated by weeks by a blank line, so you can see my first settlement week had three loads, and my second had two. My third week I handled five loads, etc.

The last column is Loaded Rate. Any load I have over 300 miles gets paid 90 cents per mile, so you'll see a loaded rate of .9. Loads between 150 and 300 get paid 93 cents per mile, so you'll see .93. The few loads I ran less than 150 miles are paid at $1.10 per mile, so you'll see 1.1. Deadhead miles are always 87 cents, so I don't have a separate column for that information.

Note that there are a few loads with information that is "off". You might notice one load ends in one city and the next load begins in another, or deadhead miles between two nearby cities much further than the distance might indicate. This is due to the way the Hill Bros accounting system handles multi-segment routing for loads -- I might get deadhead miles posted to a load before or after the one in question if there turns out to be a problem with the load (like getting halfway then having to turn around for more cargo, for instance).

In any event, its enough data to make your eyeballs bleed. You have been warned.