Friday, June 12, 2009

Sleep with cats get... fleas?

Yetch. I noticed a pair of fleas on Snowie today. Since she was clean when I got her and has only been on my truck and at the house, those dratted other cats gave her some friends. I'm going to introduce her to my friend "Advantage" here shortly.

Yesterday I drove from Jamestown, New Mexico to Denver and parked at the first customer on this load. This was the same place I was at back in winter time with all the black ice and snow crud on the sides of my truck and trailer, pictures linked to on the right sidebar. Absolutely jacked-up parking lot entry and exit and I got there right at rush hour. Wish I had a camera rolling.

(No, I didn't plan it that way but the rest areas just south of Denver are still shut down and I decided to roll the dice.)

The first drop was scheduled for 0300 but the boys were there at 0215 pounding on my door. Got the tandems back and doors open and into the dock forthwith and the product disappeared as always.

Got the signed bills and headed out through the maze-like parking lot. Drove south for a little over an hour to Colorado Springs and found my other consignee. Turns out it was a different one than I got Miss Fleabag at, a mile or two north along the same road.

The docks were jacked up as usual but I got it into place and hit the bunk for an hour of quality time. When it came time to unseal the load and back into the dock fully, my engine started making sputtering noises and was running poorly. Another Hill Bros driver (lease purchase guy with the same make and model truck that I have) happened to be there and we looked over the engine compartment. Sounded to him like a fuel filter problem so I got a quick lesson in priming and worked up a sweat. Truck started up fine after that and our shop boss explained that because I was parked on a slope for a few hours it caused a problem.

My next trip came in while I was being unloaded: Grab a preloaded trailer at the Fort Collins Bud plant and take it to Olathe, Kansas for delivery tomorrow by noon. I ran north to grab the load then back south to Denver, then east on I-70 to Colby, Kansas where I am spending the night. Early tomorrow morning it is time to fuel then off to Olathe.

I warned my dispatcher that my hours were low so I'm going to take a 34 and get rolling again Monday morning.