Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Surprise Stampeed


View Larger Map

I departed Omaha this morning and made the consignee in Columbus on time. The guard had difficulty raising anyone in the plant to take my load but that eventually sorted itself out.

Just as I'm in the middle of a relatively difficult back the dock guy comes out and asks to take a look inside the trailer. No problemo, I break the seal and we look.

"Oh, we have tons of that stuff on the dock already. Park it over in the drop lot."

Sigh.

I grab an empty trailer from them and beep dispatch for my next trip.

Seems that someone didn't finish delivering a load nearby and I'm the fix for the problem. Run over a mile or so away, follow some dirt roads to a drop yard and swap my new empty for a different loaded trailer. Away I go.

I drop my empty trailer in a very muddy lot and hook up to the only other trailer there. It is supposed to have 43,000 pounds of cargo in back but it sure didn't feel that way when I got under it. There is no seal on back and I pop the door: trailer is empty. Surprise!

Dispatch doesn't believe me for a while but finally they agree I am qualified to look inside a trailer and tell if it is empty and that delivery goes away.

New orders appear and I'm directed to the Cargil plant in nearby Schyuler, Nebraska to pick up a load heading for Stampeed Meats in Chicago that delivers in the morning. I have just enough hours to drive it in one shot, ending at the consignee so I hope they have overnight parking.

(Turns out, they did)