Thursday, February 26, 2009

Another PetSmart load

Late that afternoon (see previous post) I was beeped with a deadhead back to Phoenix then a trip from there to the Denver area for PetSmart. It was, of course, too late for me to actually use some of my driving hours that day to make it partway there, so I made the best of it and slept.

The following morning I was running again, first to Tonopah, Arizona to a T/A where the trailer brake problem was identified and fixed. Oh, and a shower since I needed one. I bounced about thirty miles east to Phoenix and dropped my empty trailer, only to find out my load was not yet ready so I had to chill for a few hours. I managed to head out of town right on the very edge of the evening rush hour with a heavily-loaded trailer so I'm glad it wasn't any later. Made it to Winslow, Arizona before shutting down for the night.

Enter creepy retired trucker dude. I'm walking back to my truck with some supplies from the Wal-Mart next door when an older guy walks up and just starts chattering away. Have I heard that Pilot has bought this (mom and pop) truck stop? Where you from? Too bad you weren't here earlier or we could have sat down at the nearby Arby's and talk. Oh hell no.

I let him ramble on for a few minutes to be polite then said I had cold stuff I had to put away and just turned and walked. He was still chattering after me until I got into my truck. Thank goodness for door locks.

Yesterday morning I began the long drive up to Denver. 695 miles later I pulled in, ready for my first drop this morning. For some reason they had me go past Monument, Colorado to Denver first, then afterward I'm to head back south 30 miles or so for the other half of the load to be taken off.

I'm currently at the first stop this morning. Extremely poorly laid out dock with a stop sign that must be knocked down regularly and a storage container (aka shipping container) that is positioned to scrape the side of anyone backing in here. Same ole', same ole'.