Monday, February 16, 2009

I'm glad I busted my butt

I roll up to the Wal-Mart distribution center in Loveland, Colorado 45 minutes early for my 0900 appointment. The security guards checked the appointment number I was given and it turns out the load isn't due until 0900 tomorrow. Arrrrgh! I went back to the truck to verify my information, and it was listed as being today on my satellite unit.

The security guards had me make a u-turn then park while I contacted my dispatcher. I asked what day it was this load was due to arrive and he said today. I relayed what the guards told me (they double checked) and he went off to chat with the customer service people to find out who screwed it up.

Four hours later I'm told to take the trailer full of pop tarts down to our drop lot in Denver, grab an empty then return to a few miles away from the Wal-Mart DC to a shipper for my next load. Some poor driver will be stuck delivering my original trailer in the morning due to the poor planning.

The new shipper makes cans for soft drinks. Cherry Dr. Pepper in this case. There is a long wait to be loaded and the trailer was thoroughly inspected before they began. The floor was clean enough to pass muster any place I've ever been since I began driving but I had to sweep it one last time, resulting in a handful of dust and debris in the dustpan.

I accepted the load with an open appointment time for the following day in Kansas City, Missouri. When it was loaded and I punched in the proper codes, the appointment read 0700 the following morning. I told the night dispatcher to have the CSRs put down the crack pipe, I'd be there late tomorrow.

Then I slept.