Saturday, February 14, 2009

Around the Ozarks

On the way to Clarksville yesterday another pre-plan came over the satellite: load up in Russellville and run it up to Rochelle, Illinois.

The problem: the Ozarks.

Now, if you chart a direct route in Google Maps, you get this:


View Larger Map

Note that course right at the start, up Arkansas route 7 to Springfield, Mo, then I-44 to the east. I drove that route once in my rig, but never again.

So instead I had three or four alternative, longer routes to choose from. I could have gone back west a spell then up I-540 through Fayetteville and up to Joplin, then over on I-44 but I dislike backtracking. I could have taken US-64 and US-67 (and a few other state highways) from Little Rock and basically cut the corner between I-40 and I-55, but the northern half of that isn't that great to drive on.

Instead, I sucked it up and took 80 miles of Out Of Route and went east to West Memphis, then headed north. I probably wouldn't do it again due to the extra miles (and fuel burned running them) but that's what I did.