Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Longest Day, part two

I roll back over to the shipper and wouldn't you know it, the paperwork was now ready. The trailer looks good and after signing various forms I'm allowed to leave. There is a fairly nice truck stop on the other side of this small town and I scaled the load easily. It was about 41,000 lbs of cargo, but the weight distribution was almost right on and this trailer is one that has a nice air-assisted sliding tandem system that makes that problem easily solved.

Due to the delay on the shipper's part there is no way I can legally run the entire 900 miles by 0500 tomorrow morning. For the third time in as many loads something is jacked up with the time and I have to message in for the appointment to be set later in the day or for the load to be repowered. After a while I'm told to bring it to Omaha and someone will run it the rest of the way tonight so the consignee won't be impacted by the problems with the shipper. Nice for them, not so nice for us.


View Larger Map

It will be interesting to see what kind of detention pay I get for this. The load was supposed to be ready by 3 PM the previous day and I only got it 5 AM the next, or 14 hours of waiting on my part. Yo, dispatcher man! I sent in my codes already! Hook me up!