Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Gary, Indiana sucks

To be fair to the residents of that town, it is the Pilot located in their fair city blows chunks.

My fuel solution for this trip had me filling up there then again in Omaha at our terminal. The only thing is, I can get from there to our terminal with about 50 gallons of fuel so that is all that I put on during my stop... since fuel is cheaper at the terminal, why buy more than I need?

The suckitude of Pilot began when I exited I-80 and turned on to the small side street that leads to the truck entrance. There were a line of trucks backed all the way out the entrance almost to the exit where I got off at, waiting in line for fuel. The entrance itself is a one-lane-in and one-lane-out deal with a small concrete divider between and one idjit driver tried to skip ahead of the line of trucks (and me) and go in the out lane, only to be stopped and honked at by the line of drivers coming out that way.

Now I have terrible luck choosing lines. Any time I'm in a store, the checkout line I choose will be among the slowest without fail. Similarly, the line I choose at the fuel island is slow and the moron in front of me is yakking with another driver while he is at the pump and not pumping fuel! Remember, I went through all this rigmarole to get 50 gallons of fuel.

Finally, I make it to the pumps and get my fuel, while glancing ahead at the truck of the moron who was in front of me not pumping minutes earlier. Five minutes or so after I get my 50 gallons, he comes out of the building with his sandwich and drink in tow and heads off.


View Larger Map

In other news, finding the shipper for this load in Walkerville, Michigan was fun. The building itself was very obvious but getting there through 20 miles of back roads was a gas.

I'm stopped for the night at the ever-popular Iowa 80 truck stop in Walcott, Iowa. Just as I was pulling in two trucks parked nose-to-tail pulled out creating a fabulous pull through opportunity right at the front door. Unfortunately, I misjudged the turn I had to make to squeeze between two other trucks and had to very gingerly back and fill a few times to squeeze through without scraping anything. Stuff happens.