Thursday, August 21, 2008

Barrel O Fun

I blog tonight from the parking lot of the Barrel O Fun company in Perham, Minnesota. Nope, I've never heard of the place either.

The night dispatcher was very anxious that I put in a delivery arrival time of past the deadline for the load. Why, I don't know since I gave the same estimate yesterday after I picked up and indicated with the loaded call that I wouldn't be able to deliver on time.

I should have guessed today's weather. I was coming from Wisconsin and headed to North Dakota, and the combination of those state abbreviations is WIND. I was fighting a strong quartering tailwind all morning and when I finished in Fargo to head east it became very strong blowing directly on my right side. Having an empty trailer that acts like a sail didn't help any and the 70-minute drive back into Minnesota was an experience. Much worse and I would have parked it.


View Larger Map

I had a cab driver cut across four lanes at a time just in front of me in St. Paul this morning. Regular drivers do stupid things all the time but most cabbies I've seen have been a bit smarter.