Saturday, August 2, 2008

Fort Collins Fun


View Larger Map

Everything went great on my way from Omaha, Nebraska to Fort Collins, Colorado this morning. I got up early, checked my truck over and filled up with fairly cheap $4.08 fuel at the yard before departing. Traffic was great, the weather was pleasant, the truck running okay, everything.

As time wears on as a truck driver I become more aware earlier when towns I'm entering are going to be a problem. Fort Collins, for instance, is a nice place with wide streets, lots of stone buildings, plenty of trees, manicured lawns, etc. Must cost a few bucks to afford to live here. This also means that buildings tend to be set back from the street, with lots of trees in the way. Few addresses one can see from a truck through the foliage. Plenty of Saturday traffic with people out and about getting their pet food, latte or whatever.

The strip mall where my PetSmart is located has a somewhat artistic flair to the parking lot. It has all the same businesses that any strip mall anyplace else has, but instead of being in one long strip its kind of broken up. Buildings clustered around a cluttered parking lot and no obvious way for a semi to get in. Using my truck driver instincts, I went around a corner towards the rear and found a street that was wide enough to turn into with my truck. Eventually I found the store but the loading dock isn't behind, its on the side along with a number of other doors. I walked in to make certain I had the right one and parked to await unloading at 0300 local time tomorrow morning.