Saturday, August 30, 2008

Back to Omaha

The long slog over the mountains of Utah and Colorado is at an end, as this afternoon I arrived at our Omaha, Nebraska terminal and T-called the load. I'm back on the board for tomorrow morning but it being Labor Day Sunday there might not be a lot of freight moving.


View Larger Map

Coming over the Eisenhower pass just west of Denver brought one of the few disappointments with my truck to the fore: the jake brakes on this Volvo engine are woefully underpowered compared to trucks equipped with CAT or Cummins engines I've driven. I had to gear much further down to take downhill slopes in my truck instead of dropping just a gear or two and letting the jakes pick up the slack. The tradeoff seems to be that I do get excellent mileage, which is a bargain I can live with.