Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Counting coup

Counting coup was an act of bravery some American Indian warriors practiced. It means coming close enough to an adversary to tap him with a coup stick or his hand then escaping reprisal. This is the frame of mind I was in this morning as I approached Detroit, Michigan.

I found my consignee easily enough but no one appeared to be staffing the office. After knocking for a while on the appropriate dock door, I went around front and knocked on the front door, which was also locked. After a short pause someone came out and took the paperwork from me and within 45 minutes the remaining cargo was off my truck and on their dock.

My next trip was already zapped to my satellite unit. I'm to head back to the western side of Michigan and pick up a load heading to the ConAgra plant in Council Bluffs, Iowa I am so sick of familiar with which delivers the following day. It isn't as many miles as I would ordinarily run during that time frame but my available hours are low at the moment.

Minding the counting coup system, I beat a hasty retreat from the Detroit area and ended up about halfway to the shipper for tomorrow morning's load. I don't have to be there until 1000 or so which will be an easy drive.


View Larger Map