Thursday, July 30, 2009

I broke the (memory) bank

Mid morning rolled around and I was given a load from nearby Schaumberg, Illinois to Texarkana, Arkansas. Weird instructions too -- its a load of rejected products heading back to AmeriCold and consists of six pallets.

I find the shipper and that is a doozy. Think a city block with a narrow path around three sides of the building for trucks and cars to squeeze by as they make their way around. Some of the shipping docks, including the one I used, are actually inside the building itself. Inside, dozens or hundreds of workers are working to package and distribute pizza ingredients going to make the Tombstone pizza brand, for instance.

The labyrinth was traversed and those six pallets hustled aboard. All 5,400 pounds of chicken knuckles (I kid you not) that apparently didn't pass quality control. How bad a chicken knuckle has to be to fail such a test is unknown to me.

Chicago traffic wasn't bad at all as I made my way south to I-57 for the rest of yesterday's trip that ended at Mount Vernon, Illinois.

Along the way a curious thing happened: I have my electronic DID (Driver Information Display) on my dash set up to show my current MPG and the MPG averaged since the last time I reset it. I normally reset each time I fuel so I can get a rough idea how well I'm doing.

Glancing down I saw that it not only reset itself but failed to restart the "since the last reset" value. It would show me what I was doing that moment, fuel-wise, but the running total wouldn't display. I even took video. Eventually I reset it as if I had just fueled and that seemed to satisfy the beast.

Today's drive was very routine to begin with. I fueled in Hayti, Missouri then headed west along I-40 in Arkansas in intermittent heavy rain showers. There were a number of cars and even a big rig spun out in the median or along the shoulders on both sides of the interstate; surprising how many people don't understand basic driving principles.

Anyway, my trusty tires kept me on course and I made it safe and sound to Texarkana and was unloaded without delay. The preplan for tomorrow could well be a doozy... but I'll leave you hanging on that for a bit.