Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Amazing

When I got up yesterday morning it was 0400 and the temperature was already 90 degrees and very humid. As the day wore on it topped out at something like 105. Now, this is outside air temperature, not the "real" temp that you feel including the radiation of additional heat up from the ground or that which is absorbed by your vehicle. Or skin. In short: hotttttttt!

After dropping off my load of almost 20 tons of Gatorade for the thirsty Dallas folks I had to wait around a few hours to get my next dispatch. I found an abandoned hospital parking lot to park in until HQ put my orders together: drop my empty van trailer at our yard in Garland then pick up a reefer and take it over to Sara Lee in Haltom City, Texas to get loaded.

When I arrived at our yard I dropped off the van, but the only reefer there was loaded. Amazing. My Overlords then had me cross Dallas to the Estes yard on the west side to pick up trailer number 579xxx, as it was unloaded. I dutifully bobtailed there only to find said trailer, the only trailer we had at their yard, in a door. A quick run up six flights of stairs to their ops center confirmed that it was being loaded for a trip to Denver. Amazing.

The new orders were just to bobtail to Sara Lee, and I did that.

I check in and I'm told that the trailer I'll be taking tonight after 2000 hours is already in a door. Amazing. I proceed to park in front of this trailer for the next seven hours with the reefer engine running flat out, trying desperately to cool the warehouse to which it is connected to -10 degrees Fahrenheit. This resulted in the loss of about a quarter of a tank of fuel and, amazingly, no cooling whatsoever in the warehouse.

Near the end of the sixth hour the trailer began to be loaded and I eventually escaped the place intact, though my logbook was a bit thin. Anna, Texas was as far as I got in the rest of that amazing day.