Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Hasta La Vista, baby

My dispatcher wound up getting me a load by 1100 -- I had three hours to travel 75 miles east to Munster, Indiana to grab a trailer filled with GE appliances. The last couple miles were a bit of a pain (hint: when you're in a big rig and see signs saying "No Thru trucks" pointing in the direction you need to go, things aren't looking up).

I found the distribution center and they even had a trailer preloaded and waiting for me. A quick sign off on the paperwork, drop my empty trailer, hook up to the full one then out the gate and on my way. Back to the "No Thru trucks" route back to the interstate.

The load delivered this morning in La Vista, Nebraska, a suburb of Omaha. An easy trailer drop was made a bit more complicated by the consignee only having one dock and a different truck that needed to offload half of its cargo before I dropped my trailer. Never mind, eventually I came out on top.

Saw the dispatcher in person just now and I learned two things:

#1: I've managed to run him off... next week he's going to change over to be a planner so when I get a bum load in the future I know who to blame at least.

#2: There isn't a lot of freight at the moment in the area so I may be here for a bit.