Friday, July 17, 2009

One down, five to go

I was saddened this morning to let the first original tire on my truck head off to the Great Tire Factory in the sky. My left steer tire had been wearing unevenly for a while now and the pros at the Boss shop in North Platte told me it was a goner.

Given its condition, it was not possible to tell if the tire itself had a balance problem or whether my truck might need an alignment. The other steer is fine and was rotated into the left spot (just in case there is an alignment problem, better to scrub the older one until I get it fixed).

My four drive-axle super singles are all doing great, including the one that was losing air pressure a week or two ago. I'm hoping to get another 100-120k out of them but you never know when you'll find something to run over and shorten that.