Saturday, August 1, 2009

Danville, Arkansas

Ah yes, back to Danville, Arkansas, site of my post "Turn left at the dead coon, dodge the tree stumps and watch out for the tight turns". This time, picking up a brokered load at a large chicken processing outfit to take up to Kansas City, Kansas.

The shortest route from Texarkana to Danville is a very twisty two-lane road that I would prefer to avoid. I would have preferred to avoid the extra eighty miles of out-of-route but that was the choice.

Arriving right at noon I discovered that my trailer wasn't completely up to snuff for their inspection criteria and got directed to a neat little outdoor washout area. They provide a ladder, some brooms (and a rake, yikes) and a pressure washing hose with fairly anemic pressure. It turns out that washing the inside of a reefer isn't that bad and if it was a bit hotter, it may have turned out to be quite enjoyable!

Then the real wait began. Wait for a dock to open up. Wait for the trailer to be inspected. Wait a long time for the product to be loaded. Wait to be told to depart from the dock and button up the trailer. Wait for the paperwork. Wait for the seal. Wait for everything to be signed off on by the company Gestapo health inspectors. Wait for the little old guard lady at the gate to laboriously check everything over then walk to the back of my truck to inspect the seals instead of letting me pull forward. Wait, wait, wait.

Five hours after arrival I was on my way north to Kansas City. I fueled up in Peculiar, Missouri last night since the price of fuel is going up by nine cents this weekend across our fuel network. Spent the rest of the night there at the truck stop, then ran out the last 45 minutes or so after my split break ended this morning.

More wait, wait, wait at the consignee. Three hours to take off 20 or so pallets. Such is the life.