Monday, August 3, 2009

Another slow weekend

There may be a competition I am not yet aware of to determine exactly the fewest number of miles you can drive over the weekend. In my case, it was under 300.

Once I was unloaded in Kansas City the planners got to their thing and determined that my next trip would pick up Sunday morning on the east side of town (Missouri side) and deliver Sunday night at the Sam's Club 2200 in Grand Island, Nebraska. Bleh.

At least the load was ready early and I picked it up, then went to the nearby Blue Beacon to get scaled (the one in Kansas City has a CAT scale with a drive-up window, love it!). The load is nose heavy but I have some slide left so I put that in, but no go. Still 760 pounds over on the drives.

Head back over to the Sam's DC and they reworked the load. Turns out it was a newer forklift guy who didn't appreciate the difference between a regular van and the extra weight up front in a reefer. Scaled out again just a bit off so slid the tandems back a bit and finally scaled legal. Four scales for one load, ouch.

The trip up to Grand Island was windy but boring. I stopped at the Bosselman Pilot there to grab a shower then spent a few quality hours on the docks getting unloaded. A Walmart down the road served to fill up my fridge and pantry so at least I'm ahead on that score.