Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Simple day


View Larger Map

Got up early, cruised on in to the Milwaukee, Wisconsin area and dropped that trailer at a Cargil plant. Picked up an empty there and drove about eight miles away to yet another Cargil plant where I picked up 20 tons of beef patties heading to Marshall, Missouri for tomorrow afternoon.

For the first time ever at Hill Bros, my GPS distance from start to finish on this trip is less than the paid miles. They are paying me 511 miles and its really only going to take 508. I'm putting those puppies in the bank, bet on it.

I watched meat being "processed" by a large machine at the first Cargil plant for about ten minutes while they were figuring out the paperwork. Processed meaning chunks were entering this machine from a large hopper overhead into some sort of processing apparatus, and an operator looked on as they fell down on to a high speed conveyor belt thing that moved them over to a storage bin. Strange to watch... I'm pretty sure they were working on beef but it wasn't recognizable as such. Just "meat".

That didn't stop me from getting a burger (well, a Wisconsin Swiss melt) at the Culver's in Delavan, Wisconsin where I stopped for the night.

Moo.