Sunday, October 12, 2008

Its c-c-cold! (pt 2)

Wyoming DOT eventually lifted the chain restrictions on westbound I-80 so I and about half of the parking lot at the Flying J departed. There was a FedEx truck pulling doubles ("wiggle wagons" in trucker parlance) that had wiped out a mile or so east on the eastbound side of I-80 so there was quite a backup going that direction.

A few miles down the road brought the first of several trucks pulling doubles off to the side of the road:



Then there was this character pulling a 53 footer who looks like he wanted to convert it on the fly to doubles: (small part of the image, click it to enlarge)



My truck and trailer didn't emerge completely unscathed. You can see the ice, sand, salt and who-knows-what built up on every lower surface:



View the entire album of today's pictures here.

I made it out to the north side of Vegas for the night. I need to fuel and get my truck washed when I get up tomorrow morning and finish my slog in to Victorville, Califfornia. The weather channel had talked up the Santa Anna winds blowing in from California through Vegas but it was peaceful all the way from Salt Lake City, Utah to Vegas.


View Larger Map