Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The only thing worse than a broke GPS...

... is a broke GPS that works for about 90 seconds.

See, my Garmin 660 turns on and acts normal for about a minute and a half, then for some reason it can't find the satellites any more and stops giving directions. This isn't an issue with my truck or other devices inside, as I've taken it outside at a rest area and it happens there as well.

So, now when I'm near someplace I have to go I try to time it, so when I'm a few miles away I power up the unit then let it steer me in the last few turns. This tactic worked when I was trying to find the trailer washout place this morning, but didn't work at all when I headed over to the shipper.

Amazon has my new unit being delivered to the house tomorrow morning. Hopefully I can run through there sometime this weekend to pick up my mail and this very important gadget.

Today's load is heading to Georgia and consists of 35,000 pounds of Hungry Man dinners. I tried a few years ago and when I was through, I wasn't hungry any more so they must work.

The loading took forever (5 hours). I have to chat with the person in charge of detention at HQ to go over quite a list of loads in the past month where I have spent more than the allotted two hours being loaded or unloaded.

The cheapest fuel along my route was at the Pilot in Little Rock, Arkansas. Utterly ridiculous parking situation and a 30-minute wait just to reach the pumps. I should have gone on to West Memphis and paid a few more cents.

My next load is already planned, for a change: I'm going to deadhead up to Chattanooga, Tennessee to the non-regurgitated chicken ass factory (long story; use the search function if you're really interested in the back story) to take a load back out to Arkansas. Picks up and delivers day after tomorrow at my convenience, which is, well, convenient.