Friday, October 17, 2008

Double Wild Turkey Strike

I know, it sounds like a special move you make in a video game (eg "Bob uses his Double Wild Turkey Strike to decapitate his opponent!"). But it really happened to my truck today. Here's how:

I was minding my own business in the middle of Kansas, about to turn off of the state highway I was on to Interstate 70. On my left was a low hill with dozens of large wild turkeys squatting down doing whatever turkeys do when they aren't being tuned up to be turned into lunch meat.

Suddenly, a couple of them take off and the whole flock takes to the air. Now, I have to believe that the ones in front had it in for some of the guys behind them since they flew right across the road about six feet off the ground and the bird brains behind them followed in formation. KER-SMACK! Two of them strike my windshield with a loud crash and the carcasses were flung off into the ditch. One of them showed its last full measure of displeasure as the crap was, literally, knocked out of it.

About thirty minutes later I'm at a truck stop in Salina, Kansas cleaning off my windshield and telling the guy next to me "You won't believe what just happened, and its the truth!"

Believe it or not, despite hitting them at 60 MPH my windshield wasn't cracked.


View Larger Map

I ended up today in Knox, Nebraska, about two hours from Omaha. The satellite unit tells me that fuel tomorrow at the yard is dropping to just $2.86 a gallon so you can be sure I'm going to get all up into that puppy. Yes sir.