Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I'll take a dangerous trip for $800, Alex

After I got done with Americold in Minooka, Illinois, I moved off west along the interstate to the nearby rest area and took one of the last available spots. Lucky, since it was late at night.

Come morning time, the new orders arrived: head north about an hour or so to St Charles, Illinois and take a load from there to Independence, Missouri due by 0800 the following day. Total miles were about 550 which is a solid day's drive but I wasn't dispatched until late in the morning and the load wasn't on my trailer until early afternoon.

Now, as far as the regulations go, I could drive directly from the shipper to the consignee with no problems. My body, however, doesn't want to work that way so about sixty percent of the way there I really, really wanted to shut down and take a nap. But noooo, the way the regs are written say that if I shut down I'll have to take a full 10 hours off and miss my appointment time. Or keep going even though I'm very tired and could potentially be a threat to myself and others on the road.

The preferred method to handle this would be to pull off into a rest area or truck stop and take a solid 5-7 hour nap then finish out the trip. The legal, but less safe method would be to just keep on driving, fighting my body and its need to rest. I arrived on time the following morning and in one piece. You can decide for yourself which method I chose to utilize.


View Larger Map