Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Wheel in the Sky Keeps on Turning

Turns out, I was wrong about the trip. As I detailed before in the My Wray or the Highway post, there is a potato processing plant in Wray, Colorado that we occasionally haul from. I was sent there, complete with an invalid load number from the folks at HQ to get a load heading to the far side of Kansas.

After a round of calling my HQ, the potato people doing there thing and some extra hand wringing the problem was resolved and I was still given a load to haul. The deadline was the following morning between 0500 and 1100, so I shot for 0900 since I was about 450 miles out after I made it to Wray and got loaded.


View Larger Map

I was unloaded before 1000 and as I was pulling out from the dock a trip plan came in over the satellite unit: run down to Kansas City and grab a FedEx load heading to Henderson, Colorado. In other words, head back to where I started yesterday at, oh and you're picking up two hours late and it still needs to be in the greater Denver area by 2200 tonight.

I boogied down to exchange my empty trailer for the full one then put on a 65 MPH head of steam to the west along I-70. Yes, I really did pull out all the stops in order to deliver on time.

The weather in Kansas was cold, between 15 and 18 degrees with a nasty bit of wind chill. As I approached Denver it warmed up, eventually reaching 31 degrees.

1200ish miles in the books for the first two days of this pay period. Can't beat that by much.