Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Return of the Lazies


View Larger Map

Okay, so I'm a slacker today.

The beer load took a few hours to depart the trailer, courtesy of a slow dock worker. At least I had time to chit-chat with a newer Hill Bros. driver while we waited. Both of us got preplanned to the same Iams pet food factory in nearby Aurora, Nebraska, to take loads to the PetSmart DC in Phoenix, Arizona.

I got unloaded first so I moseyed over to the Iams plant, did the drop-one-trailer-grab another shuffle, then shoved off. The new trailer is one of the oldest in the fleet with the frumpy spring suspension I abhor. At least the miles are good.

Taking a slightly different route south from Nebraska, I found a bridge with a 30 ton weight limit out in the middle of nowhere. My 38 ton semi magically teleported to the other side I think.

I'm fairly certain that I will have another PetSmart weekend run after I deliver so the lazy part of my brain took over and calculated the hours and distances involved. If I stop tonight in Dodge City, Kansas, the logic goes, then the next four days will all have about eight hours of driving so that will keep me moving at a good clip but not cajones-to-the-wall. The other part of my brain was bored with driving and wanted to park it for the night and I couldn't find more brain to fight with so here I am in Dodge City.