Saturday, January 31, 2009

Beer run


View Larger Map

Yesterday and today I ran mostly east along I-70, first from Grand Junction to the Denver area, then a short jaunt north to Fort Collins to pick up a trailer filled with various Budweiser products. Then back down to I-70 and east to Colby, Kansas for the night, then this morning finishing the run out to Olathe, Kansas.

I had feared trouble going back over the Vail and Eisenhower summits but the weather turned out to be fine and the roads were almost completely free of snow and ice. The traffic, however, was a bear as the local road crews were doing avalanche prevention duty where they shut down the road for thirty minutes or so and shoot off some blanks from large cannons at the hills to see if any snow will tumble down.

The super Wal-Mart in Colby was a bit of a disappointment. I normally stop in when I can to get fresh fruit and veggies and the stock there was depleted and what was available was fairly sorry looking. At least the bagged spinach was fresh.

After delivering this morning in Olathe I spent a number of hours waiting around for the next "preplan". My waiting was rewarded with a trip up to Omaha towing my empty, then to take a full trailer from our yard and run it back down south to Russellville, Arkansas for a Monday delivery.