Sunday, June 8, 2008

Windy trip out to Denver

I got up late for me (0630), fueled at our yard and chatted for a bit with one of our weekend dispatchers. Apparently a Sam's club on the west side of Omaha lost part of its roof overnight and we ran some reefers over to them so they could keep the cold stuff cold while they get it fixed.

The trip out to Denver was, as the blog title suggests, a windy one. There was some rain around Omaha and a few sprinkles here and there along the route, but the weather was mostly the wind. As I turned south on I-76 towards Denver itself my MPG went down considerably, though I'm still at 7.1 according to the onboard computer.

The fuel I added to top off at the yard came to 185 gallons, but I wasn't able to completely fill up on my first trip so I didn't burn quite that much since then. I ran a total of 1260 miles out to Illinois and back and assuming I burned 175 gallons that would give me 7.2 MPG for the trip, which is close to the mark I think. I'm not going to track it this closely from here on out, as a better mileage picture can be drawn from a week or a month of driving. Still, I have to say thus far I'm pleased to be doing so well with a brand new truck (engine hasn't been completely broken in yet) and fresh rubber (less tread = better MPG).