Friday, June 6, 2008

First Trip: Council Bluffs, IA to Olney, IL

I'm sitting at the Wal-Mart distribution center in Olney, IL as they unload my trailer. There were a series of last-minute glitches before I left this morning and I only found out after I was under the load that my cruise control doesn't seem to want to play ball. Driving ten hours by foot sucks.

Already have a load heading back through Omaha and out to Denver for the weekend so our whiz kids in the shop might be able to fix it. Otherwise, I'll get a load on Monday back to Omaha and an appointment at the Volvo dealership to have them figure it out.

Weather today was STORMY with plenty of rain and high winds. No surprises in the truck handling and the engine ran fine. I managed 7.0 MPG according to the engine computer on the way here, which is a damn fine accomplishment for foot driving and the wind. The load put my truck weight right at 70,000 gross when I left, with full tanks of fuel.

Oh, the price to fill up at our discounted yard price this morning? $980 and change.


View Larger Map