Monday, June 9, 2008

Trip #3: Lexington, NE to Ottawa, IL

Yesterday, if you recall, I ended up in Denver waiting to be unloaded this morning. Getting to the dock to get unloaded was a complete cluster, but hey -- its a food warehouse, so that kind of thing is expected. I had to wait behind one older driver in a big, long-nose Pete trying desperately to remember how to find the hole between two other trailers for going on 30 minutes until eventually someone moved one of the trailers and he managed to use two slots to back his single trailer into. Two minutes later, I had my trailer backed in next to him, praying that I would be unloaded first.

As it turns out, I was.

Anyway, I get beeped for a 320-mile deadhead up to Lexington, Nebraska (home of MY FAVORITE Wal-Mart!!) to pick up a load from a Tyson plant and move it to a different Tyson plant in Ottawa, Illinois. I took the 320 miles of pay (and fuel surcharge) gladly, but found out when I arrived that my load won't be ready until about 0400 tomorrow. Since I like starting out early in the mornings anyway, this is a plus.


View Larger Map

I'm here in the Wal-Mart parking lot, having dropped off my trailer to be loaded. Oh oh oh!! Here is the best part: they have a cute R2D2 trailer cleaning robot that automatically washes trailers for them! Wish I could have taken pictures.