Saturday, June 7, 2008

Trip #2: Olney, IL to Danville, IL to Denver, CO


View Larger Map

As I mentioned yesterday, I already had a load queued up for me before I delivered, going to Denver, Colorado. After I dropped off last night I parked at a nearby truck stop then got up early this morning to fill up at a conveniently located Super Wal-Mart in town before heading out.

It has been raining steadily in Illinois and nearby states for a while now and I wasn't surprised to see some flooding on the back roads I took up to Danville, Illinois. It was interesting to see I-70 flooded at several spots though:



Pickup was one of the easiest yet: they gave me a dock number, I backed in, then they moved three pallets of product on board and handed me the paperwork. Fifteen minutes, start to finish. The product only weighs about 7,000 pounds, which is the lightest load I can recall carrying since I moved to this company.

I headed west towards Denver along a more northerly route than some would take. It is basically the same distance taking I-70 through St. Louis and Kansas City to Denver as it is to take I-80 though Des Moines and Omaha, from where I started. Since our yard fuel is presently about the cheapest I can get and I hate going through St Louis even on a weekend, the choice was rather simple.

The wind was howling out of the southwest today and pushing me all over my lane due to my poor driving skills light load. With the 115 mile deadhead, light load and the 55 MPH Illinois speed limit I got my MPG up to 7.6. Then I turned westerly almost into the wind and bumped it up to 60ish and the MPG fell back to 7.2 by the time I arrived in Council Bluffs, Iowa for the night.

The truck continues to run fine, though the lack of cruise control is very wearing on my body. I stop every couple hours to stretch out, check the reefer temps and so on but it really doesn't make that much of a difference.

Tomorrow is an easy 540 mile run in to Denver where I will end up at the company I am due to unload at first thing Monday morning.