Wednesday, June 18, 2008

MPG update

I managed to keep my MPG at 7.5 the rest of the way to the consignee, and even raised it to 7.6 with the deadhead out to Green Bay. This saves me about 5 gallons of fuel over the "Mick Miser" profile I list below, for which I would have paid $22.55 when I filled up last. This would increase my base profit for this load to $637.76, versus $367.16 for a "Billy Big Rig" type.

Better yet, my dispatcher tells me that fuel at the yard costs $4.31 a gallon, twenty cents cheaper than what I paid yesterday in West Memphis, Arkansas. Because I'm getting such good MPG I should be able to make it from here all the way back to Omaha tomorrow on what is left in my tanks now. Since the FSC this week is 58 cents a mile, if I'm getting 7.5 MPG that equals $4.35 a gallon so if I fuel at the yard I'm making 4 cents profit filling my truck!

(No, not exactly... for one thing, that doesn't take into account the out-of-route miles I have to run on my loads. Still it is a nice thing to contemplate -- better than free fuel!)

Oh, and the cheese load is fairly light as well: just 20,000 lbs.