Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Triple play

An hour or so after I arrived at the trailer repair place I got beeped over the satellite system and ordered to leave that trailer with them and pick up an empty at a nearby FedEx facility and use that for the Budweiser load out of Fort Collins. I made the necessary adjustment and drove all the way to the destination yesterday, which was Grand Island, Nebraska.

This morning no fewer than five Hill Bros trucks converged at the local distributor with loads of suds. I was second to be unloaded, and I quickly received first one, then two then THREE pre-plans to run over the next three days.

First, I went to the nearby city of Hastings, Nebraska to pick up a load of frozen meatballs headed for Russellville, Arkansas for delivery tomorrow morning. After that, I'm running back along my route to Fayetteville, Arkansas to pick up another load of tortillas and running it down to Houston, for delivery the following morning. Finally, I grab a load in Texas and run it up to Wichita, Kansas for a Monday delivery though I'm going to talk to my dispatcher about that as it is a three-day run with only 625 or so miles on it. Hopefully I can run it up to our yard in Kansas City and pick up another load at least a day earlier.

I stopped tonight at a rest area near the town of Ozark, Arkansas after witnessing a fantastic sunset. I wasn't able to photograph what I saw while I was driving but I got some shots of the remaining light I'll post when I reach civilization.