Monday, April 14, 2008

Off on a date with the Morton's Salt girl



As I was getting unloaded in Medicine Lodge, Kansas, my satellite unit went off with a load heading up to a suburb of Omaha to deliver tomorrow. First, I was sent to Hutchinson, Kansas to the Morton's Salt facility to pick up just over 44,000 pounds of salt, then north to Salina, Kansas to fuel.


View Larger Map

When I entered the plant I noticed another Hill Bros truck getting loaded. I spoke for a few minutes with an older driver and he gave me directions to the local truck stop where I could get scaled out.

Since I'm still pulling a dry van instead of a reefer, this load is yet another brokered load. This means I have to call in before I get loaded, after I get loaded and when I get unloaded. This is one area that CFI beats my current company at hands down... there were customer service folks that handled all this stuff and let us drivers drive.

Anyway, I ended the day on the outskirts of Omaha, Nebraska ready to unload at the unlikely hour of 1030 tomorrow morning at an Italian food place. Also, hopefully, I'll be able to swing by the yard and get my grub hooks on a pretty Volvo 780.