Saturday, April 5, 2008

OS&D

Overage, Shortage and Damaged product. Sometimes when the consignee pops open the doors in back some of the product didn't make it on to the trailer, or was crushed by something, or perhaps they shipped too much of whatever it was.

When I arrived yesterday morning in Kearney, Nebraska for the first drop of this load it took several hours for them to offload the product due to the way the pallets were oriented inside (sideways, and double stacked). Several of them fell over as they were being brought off and had to be restacked, and some of the boxes were crushed.

Four boxes of crushed product, and four more that weren't loaded in the first place, caused the dock guys to spend a full hour poring over a 10-page printout of the manifest so they could carefully mark down what didn't arrive properly. I got to wait for that extra hour, as my time doesn't have any real worth to them, and afterwards I had to go over said manifest and laboriously type in the item codes for the items in question for my company. This despite the fact that the marked up manifest will be in their grubby hands in a day or two when the TripPak makes it back to them.

All told I spent two hours of my time on this, the dock workers spent several more man-hours, and I'm sure our folks at HQ will spend even more hours to account for the ten dollars of product that wasn't up to snuff. On the plus side, I may end up with hundreds of individual servings of some sort of Kellog's cereal product which would be stellar if I ate cereal, which I don't.

Bleh.


View Larger Map