Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Georgia on my mind, and a first


View Larger Map

This morning I finished my trip to Stockbridge, Georgia. I encountered a lot of rain in Missouri but once I got to Illinois the weather was nice the rest of the way.

For the first time here at Hill Bros I didn't have my next load lined up either before I made my drop or very shortly afterward. I spotted a super Wal-Mart across the interstate from where I dropped so when I was done I moved over there and got some shopping done. My dispatcher messaged me that freight here is very slow at the moment and I should find a truck stop for the night. No problemo.

Well, almost no problemo. Where I delivered to is just about smack dab halfway between the few truck stops in the Atlanta area and those just to the south. It was going to be twenty or more miles out of route to go either way so I compromised. There was a listing for a small bit of truck parking at a Kangaroo travel mart about eight miles away and since it was the middle of the afternoon I decided to give that a whirl. The parking was very tight, and not much of it, but I got a good spot.

A few hours later my next load information came in. I'm to run about 20 miles to the east tomorrow morning to grab a load of lighting fixtures and run it up to a Wal-Mart in Illinois. I'm betting it is for one that is under construction so getting in and out of there will be interesting.