Monday, April 7, 2008

Foiled again

I arrived at the consignee this morning in Sioux City, Iowa behind a pair of Werner trucks. Shortly after I arrived, the first truck departed and I watched the second one run over a good chuck of lawn of the business across the street as the driver backed in. The thing is, it wasn't THAT hard of a dock...

Anyway, my turn came and I got my new assignment while I was on the dock. First, across the river to Dakota City, Nebraska (a Tyson plant -- stinky!) to drop off my reefer, then north a few miles to North Sioux City, South Dakota to none other than 1 Devilsfood Drive to pick up a pre-loaded van trailer of baked goodness, heading for Georgia.

I called in to HQ around 0830 to talk to the person in charge of assigning trucks and he asked me to call back later. Since Omaha was kind of on my way back down I-29, and since I had a bunk full of Kellog's cereal to return anyway, I stopped in person to chat. Turns out several of the mechanics didn't bother showing up for work so there weren't any Volvo's waiting to be assigned. Foiled again...

The trip down to Georgia is fairly easy. I stopped tonight near Kansas City and I'll knock out most of the trip down tomorrow. It delivers Wednesday at 1300 just south of Atlanta, so I'll time my passage there to about 1000 or so to avoid the traffic.