Saturday, March 14, 2009

One Year Anniversary

Who woulda thunk it?

A year ago today I picked up my first load for Hill Bros, and described the experience in the post Another long day, a girl scout and a trained monkey. I was a more entertaining writer back then, I admit.

That was the start of my work as a company driver; three months later I started my lease-purchase and the rest is, as they say, history.

This morning I bobtailed from our company yard in Kansas City, Missouri to nearby Independence. A pre-loaded trailer heading down to Russellville, Arkansas greeted me, along with a nice "screw you" from the previous driver: the spring and bracket helping to hold up the air and power lines in back was broken and the lines were dragging on the ground. This is something that any driver with vision better than Hellen Keller would have picked up when they left the trailer for the next guy (the next guy being me, of course) and could have arranged to have it fixed.

Instead, its me, some zip ties and my mad ghetto mechanical skills:



Even though the load was light enough to run it with the tandems all the way forward, I moved them back a few feet to make sure the lines wouldn't drag if the zip ties gave way. I took that picture from the ConAgra facility I delivered at in Russellville, so you can see my mad skills worked.

(And yes, I notified our repair folks to get it looked at after they get through unloading.)