Saturday, March 28, 2009

Home at last

After I delivered the load to Lincoln, Nebraska I was given a load heading to Atlanta, Georgia with some extra days to deliver it so I could get through the house and take some time off. Alas, just as I was reaching Kansas City that all changed.

My dispatcher called and asked if I could drop my trailer in KC, pick up an empty, get it loaded nearby, then drop that trailer back at the yard. Oh, and grab another empty trailer and take that home instead of the Atlanta one. Another driver needs it to get home, don't you know.

For some reason I agreed to all of this. The net effect on my day was the loss of three hours of my time doing the various trailer shenanigans, about thirty miles of driving in city traffic, and the loss of my trip down to Atlanta. In exchange, I got an empty trailer and 25 miles of pay. As I've pointed out before on more than one occasion, lots of things in the trucking industry work the way they do only because your time as a driver has absolutely no value to anyone but yourself.

Grouching aside, I made it home and I'm off until Tuesday morning, so neener neener neener.