Thursday, March 5, 2009

Nope, shouldn't have accepted it

Despite my misgivings, I accepted a trip that forced me to run through Atlanta rush-hour traffic in the morning, in the noon hour twice, then in the evening. The only part of the entire charade that went well was the dropping of my empty van trailer in Calhoun, Georgia at a carpet distributor.

When I went back down to Atlanta the traffic was snarled, though it was moving. The AmeriCold facility with the empty reefer trailer I was looking for was backed up at the gate (no surprise) and I had to wait in line inside to have them clear the trailer to be taken from their lot. Then another casual inspection on the way out and I was free and clear, 45 minutes after I had arrived.

Between the traffic and the delays acquiring the reefer I was 28 minutes late at my pickup. No biggie, I was assured, take door 4 and we'll get you loaded.

Two hours later I went in to chat them up and all was still well in loader-land. "We'll have you out of there in fifteen minutes, maybe twenty," I was told.

Two hours after that I felt the need to be lied to again and went in to confront them again, a task made difficult by the glass and steel divider between the workers and the drivers. "Oh, we're waiting on one more thing. Just a little while longer."

An hour after that I was getting ready to head inside and lay down a major case of whupass when one of the daring souls came out and motioned me to pull forward so the trailer could be sealed.

The best part? Because I went through the jiggly-wiggly trailer swaps and endured the traffic that made me 28 minutes late, I get exactly dick for being held up for five hours. Next time I get sent to hell down south I'm going to insist on my return load being preplanned and agreed upon in advance.

The load itself has stops at two different Wal-Mart DC's in Illinois. This evening I just wrapped up the first one and tomorrow morning I'll be heading north a bit more for the second.

Oh, and the neat-o trailer I spent all yesterday wrangling had one of its side blinker lights cleanly sheared off by a yard dog at AmeriCold, I think. Spent a few hours getting it and another minor matter taken care of this morning down in Georgia.