Friday, September 12, 2008

What do you do with a cop behind you for 20 miles?

Occasionally, I override my GPS and decide what the best route between A and B is. Like today. Instead of going up to Cincinnati then east over to Jackson, Ohio, I kept going east from Lexington, Kentucky then up Ohio HWY 93. Bad choice.

The first reason it was a bad choice was that there were some narrow streets on the Kentucky side of the border and plenty of traffic. Oh, and some road destruction as well. The second reason it was a bad choice was the road was twisty, hilly and narrow which made it slow going and a bit exciting taking the turns in a truck with a heavy load like mine.

But the big reason it was a bad choice was the Ohio State Trooper who decided to park his squad car on my tail for twenty miles. Talk about 45 minutes of my life I would like to get back. He eventually high-tailed it around me and went about his business, thankfully.

The consignee was a bit weird, with a big, obvious gate for deliveries that wasn't really for deliveries and a small, narrow alley along the other side of the building for deliveries. That got straightened out and I waited a while to get a dock. Finally, everything was done, paperwork in hand and I left.

I got a preplan for tomorrow heading out to Kansas City from Kentucky. It will take just a smidge more than a full day's drive to get there so I'm going to live it up a bit and set my alarm at 0500 instead of 0300 like I've had to do the past few days.