Thursday, September 11, 2008

Double Switcheroo

The alarm went off at 0400 this morning and I checked my truck then headed north. I was through to the other side of Atlanta long before dawn, avoiding any significant traffic delays. The path up to Chattanooga, Tennessee was similarly quick and by 0700 I was checking in at the plant.

The first switcheroo of the day was that this WAS NOT the stinky-butt chicken plant about a mile north, but a much nicer one with a distinct lack of aroma. They sure do go through a ton of chickens each day: my load was one of many, and it was something like 50,000 thighs and drumsticks in big industrial-sized containers that other plants use.

Better yet, when I checked in they were just getting done with one of two trucks at their loading docks and I was told to take the place of the one that was leaving. My appointment time wasn't until 1100 but I got lucky and they needed the trailer space so I got elected. Even better (!), they had the next load ready to go and the loading only took about 20 minutes before I got the paperwork and they set me loose. Doesn't get much better than that.

The second switcheroo happened on the way towards Arkansas when I was asked if I could repower a load heading up to Ohio. We went back and forth for a while over the details, but eventually I agreed to meet another driver in West Memphis, Arkansas and swap loads. Turns out his birthday is this Saturday and he doesn't work on his birthday. Good on him.

Anyway, I pulled in to West Memphis in the early afternoon and we swapped trailers. I then scaled out, fueled and started heading back east through Memphis hoping I was early enough to avoid the start of their afternoon rush. The roads were busy but everything moved along at a good clip so I skeedaddled as fast as I could.

Odd coincidence of the day: This morning I awoke in Jackson, Georgia. My new load is heading to Jackson, Ohio. Jackson, Mississippi is near Memphis, and I have ended my day in Jackson, Tennessee. I mean, I know he's the King of Pop and all but that is a bit much you easterners! Since Thriller his stuff has been pretty bland to my ear.


View Larger Map