Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The LONG road out to Indiana

My new dispatcher finally beeped me with a trip late in the morning. A nice 170 mile deadhead back up to Kansas City to our yard then east about 500 miles for two drops ending in Bloomington, Indiana.

I take pains to avoid rush hours near big cities like KC so I left immediately with the hope of being on the eastbound I-70 before 1500. I made it to the yard around 1430 and was in the process of swapping my empty trailer for the loaded one when a shout from the front of my truck got my attention.

It turns out a lady driver for ProFleet, a Hill Bros subsidiary, that I've been corresponding with for a short time happened to be there and saw my truck roll in.

As I was finishing up unhooking from my empty I basked in a wealth of compliments, from how young I looked to how sleek and slim I appeared, my brilliant green eyes... and lovely white fur.

"Now wait a damn minute!" I was about to protest. My eyes are blue after all. I look up only to find she was showering compliments on the cat. Ah well.

We had a good chat for twenty minutes or so but my traffic Spidey Sense was tickling real bad so I had to complete the swap and get rolling. Snowie sure looked pleased with herself though.

I managed to beat most of the traffic out of KC and by the time I rumbled through St Louis it was rolling just fine. Late, late in the night I finished my first delivery and ended in Bloomington, Indiana waiting on the second.


View Larger Map