Saturday, November 8, 2008

What if you pulled a load and were't paid for it?

Curiouser and curiouser. As it turns out, this load of salt I brought up to Omaha yesterday has two stops: Omaha and Grand Island. Now, when the broker who "owns" the load set it up it was to deliver first in Grand Island at 0400 Monday morning, then offload the rest in Omaha at 0830. It turns out that somewhere along the way the actual loads were reversed, with the Omaha pallets in the back of the trailer.

I wasn't really aware of all of this, as my orders were to pick up the load and bring it to our Omaha HQ then drop it off. Once I got the paperwork I started getting suspicious, since it shows the load going first to Grand Island which is about 130 miles to the west of Omaha. There was some back-and-forth with the weekend dispatch crew while I was en route, but eventually it was settled that I would drop off in Omaha. I was told that if we don't deliver the load as it was originally set up then we won't get paid for it. I still get paid for pulling it, though.

Weekends can be a bit... hit-and-miss as far as loads go, so I wasn't entirely surprised that I had the rest of the day off. Not much of a day, given that it was freezing and windy, but I got a shower, restocked the food supply and played for a while on the computer.