Monday, September 14, 2009

Sometimes it is hard to know what to think

The folks at the Kraft DC in Morris, Illinois couldn't get my trailer loaded in less than five hours so by the time they were done and I was rolling it wasn't possible to finish the trip out to Huntington, West Virginia without a break. This meant the original 0900 delivery time went out the window and I notified dispatch that I would be arriving about 1500 instead.

My next calculation was to figure how far I would drive last tonight and how far I would drive today. Since I was taking the most direct route and there were more than 100 miles of narrow state highways to run from Cincinnati, Ohio to Huntington I pulled in the horns at Greensburg, Indiana and called it a night (at the last semi-legit parking spot at the Petro there).

This morning I arose to find yet another preplan, and it was a bit vexing: after I deliver my load in West Virginia, head back over to Trenton, Ohio and pick up a suspiciously light (11,000 pound) load of beer from the Miller plant there and take it to Joplin, Missouri for a Friday morning delivery. The better part of three days for roughly 800 miles. Bletch.

I'm not really looking forward to that when I roll into Huntington this afternoon and find the Kraft warehouse. As I'm parking the rig to use my satellite unit to tell HQ I'm there, a warehouse guy comes out and purposefully strides to my door. "Great," I think. He's going to get me in right away.

Um, nope. "You can't unload today. We closed at 3 PM." (some five minutes before my arrival). Oh, and: "I have an appointment at 0800 and 1200 tomorrow and you're late so you'll be a work-in. Don't know when you'll get a dock." Greatttttt.

On top of all of this my preplan was changed to a different one, now going to the GE hub in Louisville to pick up a load of appliances headed to Omaha, Nebraska. PLUS, a separate message telling me the trailer has to be clean and dry before I go to pick up the load.

To which I naturally reply: "I guess the pagan goat sacrifice / goat sashimi trailer ritual is out then?"

More news as it becomes available.