Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Some ridiculousness over the Labor Day weekend

The load of salt heading from Kansas to Nebraska went okay but by the time I arrived in Omaha it was late and I was tired, so I bobtailed to the local Sapp Bros truck stop and snoozed the night away.

Saturday morning rolls around and as soon as I was legally able I was rolling with the new load down to Carthage, Missouri.

Originally, the load was scheduled to deliver there at 1800 on Friday but I was still on the previous load at that time so that didn't happen. I did send in a message to HQ asking them to make sure they have taken care of a late delivery with AmeriCold and was told they would accept the load when I got it there.

Mistake.

Oh, they were happy to accept the load all right but not until I ponied up a $100 Comcheck for the late fee. Now, all our people had to do to avoid this charge was to pick up the phone the previous day and say "Hey, our guy is going to be late." That's it. Somehow this step got omitted. Ridiculous.

Anyway, after an extra 45 minutes of paperwork and time spent waiting for HQ to approve the Comcheck, I dropped my loaded trailer in a door in one of the underground tunnels and picked up an empty up top.


View Larger Map

I deadheaded home for the weekend where I and my checkbook (and my good friend Visa) romped across the greater Springfield area purchasing significant quantities of furniture. Places were just about giving away the stuff!