Friday, September 4, 2009

My least favorite part of trucking

Some days, my least favorite part of trucking is a tossup. Yesterday, for instance, it was between being delayed at a shipper from 0800 to 1845 (almost eleven hours) waiting on a load or having to still run said load into the wee hours of the morning to get it to its destination on time so I wouldn't be late.

Other things that bother me about this particular load include the realization that I probably won't be paid anything for my wait, and because it was so late it has subsequently jeopardized my weekend plans because I won't be home until Saturday now and there is something that I have to take care of Saturday morning that will impact my entire Labor Day weekend.

Today's satellite tweets from The Overlords include instructions to deadhead to Hutchinson, Kansas to pick up a load of salt heading to Omaha. Once there, drop that trailer at the consignee then head across the river to Council Bluffs, Iowa to pick up a loaded trailer headed to Carthage, Missouri. From where I am now is 741 miles, and even if I were able to run all those miles it would still leave me 50 miles from home.

Ah well, the paycheck will be nicer for it I suppose.