Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Out to kinda California

The trip to Frontenac, Kansas then up to Omaha went as planned, though my trailer was a bit of a problem. The brakes weren't that great and one of the pressurized caps for the old automatic inflation system (since disabled) was leaking a bit, but only some of the time. Hard to explain.

After I arrived my dispatcher asked via satellite if I would take a trip to Casa Grande, Arizona in lieu of a California run. I didn't answer that question, but I did take the trip. Unfortunately, it is a Wal-Mart load with an appointment for 1745 Friday afternoon -- who the heck wants to be working then? Plus the miles are kind of bleh (1,350 miles over three full days) and Wal-Mart never moves the unloading times up.

The trailer was already loaded at the nearby ConAgra plant in Council Bluffs and since I had extra time I spent the night in Omaha and fueled since the price at our yard was ten cents a gallon cheaper this morning.

My original plan was to dink around to Dodge City, Kansas and call it a day but I got a flush of energy, vim and vigor all at once and kept driving for another hour or so to Meade, Kansas where I'm parked tonight. I plan to slouch another 400-500 miles tomorrow to get within striking distance of Casa Grande on Friday.

No sense in hurrying.