Saturday, April 11, 2009

The 45 minute workday

Today was a 45 minute workday for me. I bobtailed a short distance from where I dropped my last trailer, grabbed an empty van then drove to nearby Conyers, Georgia. My appointment time was 5 PM but I arrived early, hoping they would have my stuff ready to go and I could get a jump on the trip.

Nothing doing.

Instead I waited and waited, until eventually being called back to the docks about five hours after my appointment time. The loading process itself was quick, though getting into the dock was not for the faint of heart. Think a very tight 180 with no real way to go retreat if it turns out to be too tight.

It was 2230 or so before I had the paperwork so I sidled my truck back outside the gate and to the same sandy lot I and a dozen or so other truckers had been "enjoying" while we waited to spend the night.